Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Topic: Moana Attraction Journey Of Water Coming To Epcot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Moana Attraction Journey Of Water Coming To Epcot

I'm not a fan of movie-based attractions seemingly taking over Epcot. I wonder where this will be shoe-horned in?

https://blogmickey.com/2019/08/break...x1XGQy_tNpi1GM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, this is an odd one, even by Epcot's wide-ranging standards. This artwork also makes it seem rather, how can I say, temporary?

Here's Disney's only substantive comment:

"This first-ever attraction based on the Walt Disney Animation Studios hit film, “Moana,” will let guests interact with magical, living water in a beautiful and inspiring setting."

I'm sure it will LOOK good, but then Disney DID try to introduce lettuce-growing as one of the original attractions of Disney's California Adventure....!

A fancy version of the fountains outside the Imagination pavilion...??
    Last edited by Simon Veness; 23-08-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see some nice paths around a fountain, I don't see an attraction?
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From some of the other renderings, there is a lot more to this than this one image, so it SHOULD have more to offer. But, these days, you never know...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Attraction" is a catch-all word, and I'm thinking it was chosen carefully in this instance. If the model is anything to go by (it may not be), this would be in (formerly known as) Innoventions Plaza, where Fountain of Nations is, and that would make sense given the extensive plumbing and high-power pump system already in that area. I'll try not to weep here for the loss of the fountain that has deep and important meaning for Walt Disney's vision for Epc...EPCOT. But I will weep quietly in a corner later on.

I will then comfort myself with the sure (pretty sure) knowledge that Journey Into (Your) Imagination (with and without Figment) is ticking down its days to replacement.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm as big a sucker for nostalgia as the next person and I used to get all bent out of shape about anything that was in contradiction of Walt's vision. These days, I'm much more philosophical in general and I comfort myself with the fact that he was an innovator who never stood still. I think it's safe to say he'd have moved way beyond theme parks by now. I can't pretend I'm not upset about Fountain of Nations, though. I struggle with meditation but you know the practice that suggests imagining a place where you've been at your most content and instructs you to remember the sounds, the smells and how you felt? Fountain of Nations is my place. We've spent many happy hours gazing at it, dancing to its soundtrack, enjoying the Florida sun on our backs and blissfully contemplating life. It took me years to learn that being in the moment at WDW is so much more pleasurable than rushing around between attractions. Since seeing the light, I've turned it into an art form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some changes to classics are terrific. I liked the change to Pirates of the Caribbean, when they added Jack Sparrow (though I could have done without it just as easily) and the attic scene in Haunted Mansion is, IMO, vastly better for the change, though again, I liked the original. Frozen in Norway is a beautiful ride, very elegant and a bit emotional, BUT...it's not the ride experience itself I object to, it's the direction EPCOT is moving toward when its roots are ignored. But that's a tired story on my part, and horse I've long since beaten dead.

I do wonder, though, how much better it could be to tell the story of the Fountain of Nations, especially given the times, through the reality of its OWN history and where that history connects to the present and the future. Why slap a character on it when its own story is so powerful? I know why, of course, but then don't tell me "We always keep Walt in mind when we create anything new or make changes to the classics" and expect me to believe it's anything more than a tired platitude that gets dragged out because it's less controversial than saying, "We wanted to do this so we did."

Walt's overall idea for what became Epcot was literally poured into that fountain. If people don't know its story, don't scrap it; instead, tell them.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Thread Information