Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Blue Disabled Parking Badge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a brief note to the Hereford family. We travelled quite a lot in the US (mainly Florida) with my son who had Muscular Dystrophy and was a wheelchair user. Our experience of America (and indeed Americans) is that they are much more courteous than in the UK. While we were able to use our Orange and then Blue badge without the hassle we never found any issues with were we went. Most places, whether theme parks, other attractions, restaurants etc have excellent car parking and access is usually very very good. Even if you have to park in a regular spot you'll find that you're fairly close in. The exception is possibly Magic Kingdom where the trams from the car park are not wheelchair accessible. I'd be tempted to take your blue badge, ask the Disney cast member and get a handicapped parking permit. We found them to be very helpful, having the wheelchair in the van helped I guess.

One thing that I know annoys some Brits is the American use of language, eg handicapped. This is no different to them than gas or hood or pavement, BUT their attitude (as I said above) is excellent. Most Americans are more than happy to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tiggers Friend, that is a very good point about the use of the term 'handicapped'. To Americans, the term 'disabled' is the more abrasive term. We cringe when we hear that word (just as we cringe when we here someone use the word 'toilet' in public! :eek: ).

Just a difference in language, and as you say, the attitude is respectful in either country, the term that falls more easily on the ear is just different.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 13-04-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Susan, there is a reference to the terminology in the Brits Guide (Pg 39 2007) from a reader. I have to say that for me, while it refers to the good access, it does miss the point on the language. Americans may be speak English, but, well they don't!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many thanks to everyone who posted regarding parking issues. I'll be taking the blue badge anyway, and see if it gets us anywhere the first weekend

However, I just called Osceola County Office - and they said it was nothing to do with them! They said they could not issue a tag from their office when buying from the UK, and if they were to they'd need a Dr's letter I do not know why, the lady I spoke with was very unhelpful - she gave me a telephone number for Orange County something or another - this number is 407 846 5232.

I'm getting rather frustrated, as I want to apply from the UK, but can not obtain the information so I know if I send the $15 we'll definately get our tag in return, and whether there's additional postage fees. Is there a telephone number I can call to tell me please? If I had more time I'd write to Patsy Heffner, but we have 51 days 'til we go (not that we're on countdown you understand)

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PS - Regarding UK v US speak - I lived in the US for 9 months and came over some wonderful things.

Biscuits are scones, chips are crisps etc like we all know.....

Over here Handicapped to me is quite a harsh phrase, where as disabled I feel is less harsh - it's a strange world we live in isn't it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could try the following:

Martha J. Wooten
    Poinciana Branch Manager
    Osceola Tax Collector
    (407) 962-1211

However, it does seem that the postal application should work OK (if you include a money order for $15).

It probably depends which office you call, as not all will be geared for taking the temporary parking permit, and I would imagine that not all even know how to deal with UK requests. I don't recognise that number for Oarnge county that they gave you (it might be the driving licence test office!), but the Orange County tax office number should be 407 836 4145

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have tried the number you gave (407) 962-1211 and I just get a switchboard, but nobody answers......just a voicemail service. I've been calling around 7pm UK time so I'd guess there should be someone there.

Do you know any other contact info that may work, by telephone please?

Thanks

Sarah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The main switchboard number for all Osceola tax offices is 407 742 4000, so that might be your best bet. There are 4 offices - the Main office (on Highway 192), a Lake Buena Vista branch, one in St Cloud and one in Poinciana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i was advised last year when i booked my floida holiday that the blue badge is no longer accepted & you need to purchase a temporary pass from the relavant department although the blue badge should be taken as proof of eligibility for a disabled parking permit.

The details i was given by virgin holidays was accurate & is as follows:

"As per information provided by the DVLA, UK disabled blue badges are no longer valid for use in florida. Temporary US Handicapped Parking Badges can be issued at a charge of approximately $15.00. The UK badges will need to be presented with some form of photographic ID (IE the disabled persons passport), at a local tag agency"

The local tag agency address in orlando is as follows:

Auto & boat tags
    South Orlando Branch
    11210 South Blossom Trail
    Orlando 32837
    Tel: 001-407-836-4145

I hope this helps you all who need to use disabled parking spaces in orlando.

SQUIDGE

I LOVE ORLANDO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Where's the closest please?

:o I'm struggling here.... :o

We've decided we'll go on the first Mon of our vacation to get a tag. However, I am totally baffled and confused as to where the closest one is for us.

We're staying at Disneys Port Orleans Riverside. I've bought the fantastic map you recommended so finding location of an office should be okay, but all the different counties is really confusing :o

Any help most welcome - I see Squidge has posted an address below - is that the one we should head for?

Many thanks

Sarah.

Thread Information