Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: Currency Cards & General Q's

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Currency Cards & General Q's

Hi, Peeps

I wondered if anyone could recommend or know of a prepaid currency card that charges the least fee if you wished to draw money from an atm? was also wondering what weather is like in decjan time in florida as not long to go now and not to sure on what to pack was just gonna take mixture of summer and winter clothes to be on the safe side. Not going to take to much out there as i intend to go clothes shopping and treat myself.

Kate x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Katie there are many differant currency cards around and people will give you their opinons. I shall be using one for the first time in March and i will be use the one from ICE https://www.iceplc.com/prepaid-currency-card/

As for the weather, well have never been as late as December or January but others have told me it should be T-shirt and shorts weather during the day and maybe something a little warmer in the evening.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Superspur think more or less they all charge around the same for taking money from an atm i have been told (not sure if true) that when you pay for anything by card in america you have to show id to verify that it is your card (because there is so much fraud out there) and as they do not have chip and pin like we do here would you no if there is any truth in this?

Kate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a FairFX card, which is a MasterCard, and then a Friends and Family card for my wife, which means we can move money between the two. So I use my card to pay and the majority of the cash on the F&F card which isn't used, for security. having said that we take with us Traveller's Cheques and cash, as well as a normal credit card.

You are correct, there is no chip and pin in the US, and we are not usually asked for ID either. There is fraud, there is much discussion on another forum about it at the moment. Advice, don't let your card out of your sight.

Sorry can't help with the weather as we haven't been at this time of the year.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Hi katieb

Thanks to the advice of Superspur, I went for the ICE dollar currency card and it worked out brilliantly (thanks, SS!)

I had done a bit of research beforehand, but I'd missed this one until it was mentioned by Superspur. What sets this one apart from the others is the complete and utter lack of any fees. No fee to top up the card (which you can do at any time), no fee for any transactions, and no fee for ATM withdrawals (though bear in mind that the ATM itself will probably charge a fee - I never did find a free one).

What's more, you don't have to worry about putting too much on the card, because when you come back you can get any credit balance refunded at the same rate that you loaded it in the first place - this is a really big plus point.

Apparently they also pay you cashback on every transaction, though this is only paid once a year - so I'll have to wait a bit to see what I've got coming back to me........

In terms of ID, I found it varied from place to place. I think I was asked for photo ID on maybe 1 or 2 occasions in total when using the ICE card. Sometimes I had to sign, and sometimes I didn't. If I paid with a CC I was much more likely to be asked to produce ID and/or sign. In the majority of cases using the ICE card they just swiped it and that was that.

Oh yeah, one other thing I liked was that they gave you a 2nd "unactivated" card. The idea being that if your main card was lost or stolen you could phone them up and get the 2nd one activated in its place - so no waiting around for a new one to be delivered if the worst happens. Fortunately we had no need to use it, but it was good to know it was there (just keep it in a separate place!!)

If you want a 2nd activated card on the account, they can do that too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not much I can add. I have been a user of the Fair FX card for many years and still take it with me whenever I go to the US. I find it easiest to use in every way and the iPhone app is handy as it gives real-time balance statements and the ability to top up via the app.

As for weather back in 2001 I was there in January and the weather was what I'd personally call warm. Jeans and light jumper was all that was needed during the day. Maybe a light jacket at night. But then if you get a cold snap it can get down to 5-10 degrees C which I have experienced in November visits.

Edited to add - the ICE card mentioned above sounded good so I just had a look. The fees/second card etc seem good but the rate is quite low - nearly 1.5cents less than other pre-paid cards including the fair FX card. Not an issue for a couple of hundered dollars but would add up to tens of dollars on big top-ups for families etc.
    Last edited by dmrevis; 24-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks all for your replies very helpful.

Thread Information