Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: "days" in the US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "days" in the US

i was reading the whats it like in august thread and saw labor day, got me thinking

how many US days are there and how big i.e popularity, was thinking s&s could help, would be intrigued as we have about 3/5 if you think may day etc

Planned Visits:

3 weeks July 2010 Vistana Resort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are 11 main 'holidays' that spike up crowd levels:

New Year's Eve
    New Year's Day
    President's Day (a long weekend in mid-Feb. Spike runs from 16-18 Feb in 2008)
    Easter week
    Memorial Day (in May; Spike runs from 24-26 in 2008)
    4th of July
    Labor Day (early September; Spike runs from 30 August-1 September in 2008)
    Halloween (October 31)
    Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
    Christmas Eve (spike begins a week ahead and runs until 3 January or so)
    Christmas Day

Add Spring Break, which runs from early until late March, give or take. Every school district determines their own break.

Obviously, summer (from early June-early September) is always busy. Christmas/New Year are the busiest though, with the biggest in-park crowds on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 13-12-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks! thats alot of days, so do the US get more holiday?

Planned Visits:

3 weeks July 2010 Vistana Resort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure, but I don't think we get more. I wonder if we're getting our terms confused (my fault). In the US, any day that's a national celebratory day would be called a holiday (UK's term 'holiday' is the US's term 'vacation'). But that doesn't mean schools or most businesses would get the day off. For example, Halloween is a holiday, as are Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day, but school and work goes on anyway.

The list above are nationally recognized celebratory days (our version of a 'holiday') that will have an impact on Orlando crowds, but they aren't necessarily days off from work. The children will be out of school for most of them (Halloween and 4th of July excluded), either for the day (President's Day, Labor Day and Memorial Day), a few days (Thanksgiving) or a week or more (Christmas, New Year and Easter).

Most businesses will still be open on all of those days, with (usually) the exception of Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. Many will also close on New Year's Day, but not all of them (and many restaurants will be open on all of those days).

The reason Halloween and July 4 spike up is due to evening events in the parks (the locals come out for Halloween Horror Nights, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and 4th of July fireworks). President's Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day all fall on Monday, so people will fly to Orlando for the long weekend.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 13-12-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We visit usually in May time and we've always found that Mothering Sunday (second Sunday in May) is usually a busy day and restaurants are very busy for breakfast, lunch and especially dinner.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good point, Tiggers Friend. The parks aren't usually a lot busier but it's the busiest day of the year in restaurants. Everyone takes their Mom out for dinner on Mother's Day.

Thread Information