Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Topic: NOW I'm worried

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default NOW I'm worried

I began to worry this morning about whether when I tried to book our seats they'd all be gone. I have been told over and over again that I can't book our seats until 24 hours before we fly.

Out of idle curiosity I punched Emma's details into Virgin's site (because I can't find the booking references for my seats). It actually let me to the 'amend/book seats' page. Imagine my horror when all seats are shown as unavailable except for 1 single seat in the fore middle block and 1 single in the rear middle block!

Yes, I know they withhold a certain number of seats until the day, but the whole point of checking in the night before is to allow us to get to the airport later and avoid the queues. If we can't book our seats until we get to the airport and we find we're the last people to book in at the desk - what on earth are we supposed to do? Not only that, but it's a well known fact that airlines overbook flights to allow for no-shows - and what if everyone has shown up and there are literally no seats left????

I can't even ring them as the office is closed now until Monday. I know I shouldn't worry, but I do, and I will continue to worry now until they can put my mind at rest.

Nov 2003 for 14 days
    Feb 2005 for 10 days
    Aug 2006 for 10 days
    Apr 2008 for 10 days
    Feb 2011 for 14 days for the Big 5-0
    Feb 2012 for 10 days for Emma's 18th
    Feb 2013 for 10 days just because!
    Feb 2014 for 7 days on site girlie trip
    Mar 2015 for 14 days for Emma's 21st

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

try not to panic leonie. im not sure how to answer this one though maybe someone with a little more knowledge will be along soon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What time are you getting to the Airport the day before for the twilight check in? Obviously the earlier the better. I think it opens at 12 for the next day flights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
    What time are you getting to the Airport the day before for the twilight check in? Obviously the earlier the better. I think it opens at 12 for the next day flights.
    We can't do twilight check in - my brother would have to be with us and that's not possible.

I'm getting on the phone to Virgin as soon as I can tomorrow to see if they can do something in advance.

I mean, it's possible that the seats are showig as unavailable simply because it doesn't want to let me book the seats yet. The trouble is, I just don't know.
    Nov 2003 for 14 days
    Feb 2005 for 10 days
    Aug 2006 for 10 days
    Apr 2008 for 10 days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd worried about exactly the same thing when I'd tried to select seats in advance for our flights so we'd have 4 seats together, but the seating screen only showed odd singles around the plane. I think the Virgin Atlantic website's FAQ section had said they keep something like 60% of seats back for allocation on check in, & that seating families together is a priority.

My plan had been to do the online check in the day before we fly, & hopefully our seats are allocated then so that I'll know even before we set off for the airport that our seats are sorted. Hopefully you'll get some sense out of Virgin on the phone tomorrow & they can set your mind at rest so you can relax & enjoy your holiday right from the start

Those two odd seats that you can see on the seating plan are probably just the only two remaining unsold seats. Once all the seats are sold, you can't access the seating plan on the Virgin website. That doesn't include the ones they hold back for allocation on the day, (I can't remember whether it's 40% or 60% of the seating capacity), which although still available, won't be shown as such on the seating plan.

We booked our flights online and chose our seats at the time of booking. Up until recently we've been able to go onto the Virgin website to check, and change if necessary, our seats. Now though, all the seats have been sold and we can't even look at the seating plan, although we can still change catering arrangements, etc, through the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm affraid its very much a case of "thats the way it is". By all means phone Virgin, they may be able to pre-book your seats for a (probably extortionate) fee. If you cannot pre-book seats and there is nothing availible when you check-in online 24 hours before you depart i'm affraid you will just have to get there extra early to assure your seats together.
    Having said that, i dont feel like turing up early is a problem. I like to wander around the airport before a flight but thats just me. Of course when we fly in November we've got complimentary access to the VRoom so i'll be kicking back eating the free food, drinking the free drinks and enjoying the large screen TVs while looking out over the airport runways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If we have to get to the airport extra early, we will end up missing our paid for breakfast at the guest house! They don't serve it before 7am. I've already disappointed OH who was looking forward to a full English - I just don't think we'll have the extra time needed.

I'm going to ring APH and work backwards from a 10am arrival at the airport to see what time we have to get up. It's an unknown quantity, you see. If we were going from home I'd have a better idea of time - but we couldn't do that in rush hour and thought it best not to even risk it.

We won't be queueing with everyone else, anyway - we go to the disabled check-in. I'm hoping that if the worst comes to the worst, we can by-pass any remaining queue by simply 'pushing in'.
    Nov 2003 for 14 days
    Feb 2005 for 10 days
    Aug 2006 for 10 days
    Apr 2008 for 10 days

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't know why I thought you were doing twilight check in possibly cos you said you were staying overnight in a guest house.

I think getting the seats we want is one of my main worries too. We have booked ours already but I am still panicking that they might get allocated to someone else

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeonieM View Post
    We won't be queueing with everyone else, anyway - we go to the disabled check-in. I'm hoping that if the worst comes to the worst, we can by-pass any remaining queue by simply 'pushing in'.
    Sorry to add to your concerns, but do airports provide disabled check-in? When we've travelled in the past with my son in a wheelchair we've queued as normal. The airlines do usually allow pre-boarding though.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Thread Information