Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: Expectant Motherís Guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Expectant Motherís Guide

EXPECTANT MOTHER’S GUIDE

Holidays in Orlando can be a wonderful, magical time, even with a baby on the way! Most mums-to-be can enjoy the majority of attractions with relatively few restrictions. However, some precautions are in order for a safe and comfortable day in the parks. Always seek and follow the advice of your doctor or midwife before you visit the theme parks; our guide is meant to be a guide only and does not constitute medical advice or recommendations.

Most attraction restrictions are obvious (roller coasters, motion simulators) but some restrictions are less obvious. In those instances, we have included the reason the restriction is in place so that you can make an informed decision.

It is unlikely you will be challenged if you choose to ride any attraction, even if there are posted warnings and you are quite obviously expecting, so be aware the ride attendants are not required to advise you against riding. You must make yourself aware of those attractions that are not safe for Baby, without relying on ride attendants to warn you or remind you.

Please be aware, expectant mothers are strongly discouraged from experiencing any of the water slides at the water parks, or the Shark Reef at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. There is a posted warning at Typhoon Lagoon’s Crush ‘n Gusher water slide.

Attractions with Posted Warnings for Expectant Mothers

Magic Kingdom:
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Tomorrowland Speedway
    The Barnstormer at Goofy’s Wiseacre Farm

Epcot:
    Soarin’ (sudden short, smooth upward motion)
    Mission: SPACE
    Test Track (sharp braking sequence, bumpy sequence, G-Forces)

Hollywood Studios:
    Rock ‘n Roller Coaster
    Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    Star Tours

Animal Kingdom:
    Dinosaur!
    Kali River Rapids (sharp impacts with sides of canal, big drop)
    Kilimanjaro Safari (bumpy, jarring ride)
    Primeval Whirl
    Expedition Everest

Universal Studios:
    Jimmy Neutron’s Nicktoon Blast (motion simulator-type ride)
    Shrek 4-D (bumpy, jarring seat movements)
    Twister-Ride it Out! (floor collapses at end of attraction)
    Revenge of the Mummy
    Disaster! (sharp side-to-side motion)
    Jaws (sudden starts and stops, tilting)
    Men in Black Alien Attack (ride vehicle spins)
    Woody Woodpecker’s Nuthouse Coaster
    ET Adventure (possible instability due to suspended ride vehicle; inclines increase possible instability)
    Terminator 2: 3-D (seat motion; stationary seats available)

Islands of Adventure:
    Cat in the Hat (ride vehicle spins)
    Dueling Dragons
    Incredible Hulk Coaster
    Jurassic Park River Adventure
    Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls
    Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges
    Storm Force Accelatron
    Dr. Doom’s Fearfall
    The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man

SeaWorld:
    Journey to Atlantis
    Kraken
    Manta
    Jazzie Jellies
    Shamu Express
    Swishy Fishies
    Wild Arctic (ride portion)
    Rock Wall
    Trampoline

Busch Gardens:
    SheikRa
    Gwazi
    Kumba
    Montu
    Python
    Scorpion
    Rhino Rally (bumpy, jarring ride)
    Stanley Falls Log Flume
    Congo River Rapids
    Tanganyika Tidal Wave
    Sandstorm
    Phoenix
    Ubanga-Banga Bumper Cars
    Crazy Camel

Some attractions do not have a posted warning, but may be uncomfortable for Mums in the later months. These attractions include:
    -Stitch’s Great Escape at Disney’s Magic Kingdom (shoulder harness may impinge on abdomen)
    -Astro Orbitor at Disney’s Magic Kingdom (ride vehicle has a small, tight space)

Touring Comfortably

The key elements to keep in mind as you tour with baby-on-board are:

Rest! It’s a busy, exciting holiday, but your body needs far more rest than you may be used to. Schedule mid-day breaks back at your resort or, at the very least, take regular breaks and time off your feet inside the parks or find a quiet place to nap.

Water! Even in winter months, your body will need more hydration than you may be used to. In the summer, extra water intake is critical to avoid serious dehydration for you and endangerment to Baby. Fizzy drinks, coffee and tea are dehydrating; be sure to keep a supply of water on hand, even if it means you’ll become acquainted with all the restrooms in Orlando. Your body will thank you and so will your baby.

Snacks! Bring your own. In the early months you may be a bit queasy and will need to snack often, but may not find anything in the parks that sounds good. In the later months, you may need to snack often if large meals are no longer an option due to limited tummy space.

Worried you’ll be spending a lot of time apart from the family as they ride attractions you will not be riding? Remember, you can walk through the queue with them, then take the ‘non-rider exit’ near the boarding area.

Enjoy this special time as you prepare for your new arrival, knowing you can have a memorable holiday as well as a safe one. And Congratulations from Susan and Simon!

Copyright © Susan and Simon Veness, October 2006-2009
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 02-05-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: updates

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you ďIím not messing around, use the gifts you were given.Ē

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A couple of additions here that Susan has inadvertantly missed.

Jimmy Neutron tide at Universal - the very front row rocket ships are non-moving
    Shrek 4D - the back row doesn't move, but the noise from the hydraulics means you won't hear anything over the noise either.

Only the centre section of the Star Tours road train actually rocks. If you're in the front or very rear cars, you'll hardly move at all.
    Last edited by LeonieM; 13-08-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Nov 2003 for 14 days
    Feb 2005 for 10 days
    Aug 2006 for 10 days
    Apr 2008 for 10 days
    Feb 2011 for 14 days for the Big 5-0
    Feb 2012 for 10 days for Emma's 18th
    Feb 2013 for 10 days just because!
    Feb 2014 for 7 days on site girlie trip
    Mar 2015 for 14 days for Emma's 21st

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Star Tours is a motion simulator with extreme movement. ;) I promise it makes the list for a good reason! :eek:

It is correct there are non-moving seats on some attractions. The list is only meant to point out the attractions with cautions.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you ďIím not messing around, use the gifts you were given.Ē

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    Star Tours is a motion simulator with extreme movement. ;) I promise it makes the list for a good reason! :eek:

It is correct there are non-moving seats on some attractions. The list is only meant to point out the attractions with cautions.
    Duh! My brain is having trouble keeping in gear! Of course, that's the one where you're in a space ship with R2D2. Yes, lots of movement!
    Nov 2003 for 14 days
    Feb 2005 for 10 days
    Aug 2006 for 10 days
    Apr 2008 for 10 days
    Feb 2011 for 14 days for the Big 5-0
    Feb 2012 for 10 days for Emma's 18th
    Feb 2013 for 10 days just because!
    Feb 2014 for 7 days on site girlie trip
    Mar 2015 for 14 days for Emma's 21st

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good lot of information Susan.

Susan this information is fantastic. Thank you so much for posting it. I will only be around 3 1/2 months when we go so at least I am not going to be to big! Very excited though and this list will help me in my planning better. Shame about Rhino rally though as that was one thing I really wanted to do But hey I am going to disneyland in 98 days and I can not wait

Good info susan , i was suprised how many attractions had non moving areas / seats for expectant mothers but didnt actually advertise them at all well , i can only talk for universal from this trips experiance but had we had a tiny bit more info my OH could have gone on so much more.

Do you think it would be possible to do the Serengeti Safari tour at Busch Gardens? Would love to be able to feed the giraffes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can certainly do it (you can do anything on the list. It's up to you to choose), but you would probably have a warning not to. It's very bumpy! :eek:

The only other place I can think of where you could feed a giraffe without being in a truck is Silver Springs. You feed them over the fence, and sometimes they eat, sometimes they don't, but there is no risk to Baby in that instance.

Thanks Susan, thats fantastic will have a look into it and see if we can fit a visit in to Silver Springs. Dont want to chance anything so would rather not ride anything that could do any harm. And besides gives me an excuse to come back

Thread Information