Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: La Cava del Tequila at Epcot's Mexico pavilion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default La Cava del Tequila at Epcot's Mexico pavilion

This isn't up-to-the-minute news, I know, but I've just come across art! I already had major plans to attempt to do justice to "more than 70 tequilas made from the finest distilled spirits from the agave plant", but these photos have made me determined to double my efforts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looks like something one must try when we visit next week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good luck Deb, I'm sure you'll succeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's an inspired idea, one that will surely bring the Drink Around The World-ers to their knees.

Hopefully the drinks are better than the current margaritas on offer at that kiosk. Not sure I could do more than one shot of tequila, so I'll wait for your expert opinion Deb, and go for the one you like best. ;)

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drinks around the world? Drinks around the cava, more like!! This just sounds dangerous!! By the looks of it, they do a Tequila sampler tray. Many moons ago, a friend and I tried something similar at a Mexican restaurant in Covent Garden, only it was a Mezcal sampler platter. Never again. OUCH, and then some!!!! Thankfully, they were all NOT con gusano!! ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Simon Veness;127478]Drinks around the world? Drinks around the cava, more like!! This just sounds dangerous!! QUOTE]

I suspect if anyone can do it Deb will!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Deb, methinks your getting a bit of a reputation round these parts.... ;)
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's open a book. On second thoughts we get no odds.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Sentinel has posted a review. It's sounding better all the time!

By Kelly Fitzpatrick
    Sentinel Staff Writer
    3:00 a.m. EDT, September 30, 2009

Epcot has opened a tequila bar, and Walt Disney World has opened its first theme park lounge with the introduction of its new La Cava del Tequila. Located inside the Mexico pavilion in Epcot, La Cava del Tequila is owned by the same folks that run the San Angel Inn next door and replaces what used to be a jewelry shop in the pavilion (now located across from the tequila bar).

Décor: La Cava del Tequila is adding a unique experience in having a Mexican-themed lounge built around tequila in Walt Disney World. It's tastefully and beautifully done with a mural on one wall depicting the tequila-making process and barrels and brick everywhere else in the 30-seat bar. Warm brown and red tones around the bar make this a comfy spot to escape the heat and grab a margarita. The wooden tables and gorgeous bar swallowed in by a brick back drop and soaked in light show the attention to detail on not only the drinks but the décor.

The Bar: Ah, tequila. There is beer, wine and mixed drinks available but if you're coming into this bar it should be the tequila you're ordering. Flights are the best way to do this with four half-ounce selections of your choice of tequila or margaritas. There are more than 70 types of tequilas to choose from and range upward to $400, but the average range is $8 - $50. Specialty margaritas will have you paying in the $11 - $12 range, but with flavors like blood orange and cucumber and jalapeno (delicious by the way) ordering a flight is the best way to go. Flights also change out every week. If you get a case of the munchies, a tapas-style menu is available to soak up the tequila that includes mahi tostadas and Acapulco-style shrimp cocktail ranging between $6 - $11.

Service: La Cava del Tequila is so serious about wanting you to not only enjoy tequila but to learn a thing or two about it as well, they've hired on a "Tequila Ambassador," Hilda Castillo, who's actually from Tequila, Mexico. Did you know there was such a place? She is there to talk to customers about how tequila is made, differences between tequilas and showing different ways tequila can be used. The rest of the staff seemed nice enough, but with the influx of tourists coming in (mainly on weekends) there might be a bit of a wait (only 50 – 60 people can be in the bar at one time). Early weekday afternoons seems like the best time to stop by, but even then most seats are taken.

Sounds: This is one of the more popular spots in the World Showcase and is never without a lot of people so you're going to hear the sounds of, well, people around you.

Crowd: The bar is in Walt Disney World folks, so the crowd is predominantly tourists. You'll see young, old, European, South American, margarita lover and shot lover alike. Considering you have to pay around $70 to enter Epcot as a local, this is definitely not a place you're going to be throwing back shots with the buddies on a Friday night – unless of course you have an annual pass. In that case, the chance to try an avocado margarita is too good to pass up, so enjoy!

Copyright © 2009, Orlando Sentinel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hilda must have been hiding because we sure never met (or saw) any "tequila ambassador." We were lucky to get a bar tender. And no, the place wasn't packed. It was, shall we say, 'festive', but there were several empty tables.

Having said that, there are only about 6 tables in the whole place. Perhaps that's why Ms. Fitzpatrick felt it was busy. The staff made it feel more crowded too, because even though it was difficult to get anyone to actaully serve you, there were a lot of people who could have.

Still, it's a fun spot to have something a bit different. Found a couple of pix:

Part of the mural

This was our Flight of 3 tequilas

Last edited by Susan Veness; 02-10-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Thread Information